Thursday, April 22, 2010

Law School wants me to live on fro yo

Oh dear. I'm not sure how long it's been there, but last week I found that the law school cafeteria has a frozen yogurt machine and a giant container of rainbow sprinkles. This is not a good discovery to make right as finals kick in, resulting in me both being on campus more frequently and lacking any and all motivation to pack a healthy lunch (because I did that so much before...). In the past week I've gone up there three times, fully intending to walk away with a salad, and instead slinking back to my carrel with a bowl full of sugary (but non-fat!) goodness.

It really doesn't help that the cafeteria is well, special. They try so hard to be more than just a basic cafeteria. In theory this is a good thing. In theory lemon herb salmon or sweet mesquite pork sound gorgeously gourmet. In reality I wish for some basic fish sticks. Fancy food just does not translate well to being made en masse and set out under heat lamps. Everything ends up rubbery and just wrong somehow. The salad bar isn't that bad, but come on. You can only eat so much salad. And the salad is way more expensive than the yogurt. Plus, no sprinkles.

And that is why for the next couple of weeks about 1/3 of my nutrition is coming from cheap, easily accessible, fro yo. And sprinkles, of course.

(Taken with my mediocre web cam. After I ate about half of it. Also, note the lone piece of cantaloupe, trying to give the meal an air of nutritional credibility.)

8 comments:

  1. That looks so good. Our school needs something like that. Ours tries to be fancy too and eco friendly...yet they seem to miss the boat that a lot of people at my school are vegetarian.

    I feel like all schools should have a cupcake bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you have to do what law school tells you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...
    Self-serve frozen yogurt and frozen yogurt places in general have gotten really popular in the last couple of years (here, at least, but I'm sure in lots of places), and I'm a big fan of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they have gummy bears as a topping? I luuuurved that in my college snack bar thingie. The gummy bears get all frozen and extra chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you - cafeterias just don't do "gourmet" very well. They need to stick to easy stuff that no one can mess up! Which, unfortunately, is often the less-than-healthy option.

    I love your canteloupe in your fro-yo. Very cute.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why you make a point of eating well in general. Then, when finals come around, your body can handle 3 weeks of horrid food, right? Right. Well, unless it makes you feel sick, slow, or tired at the moment, but I suspect that a sustained sugar high will be fine (until you crash, but who doesn't crash after finals anyway?).

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would absolutely love to have access to that fro yo machine right now. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete