Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Elderly Mojo

Is it creepy for a random old lady, who you have never met nor do you have any possible connection to, to pull up and offer you a ride? So here's the scene: About 10 pm, me happily listening to Lady Gaga at a well lit bus stop, with a few very non threatening khaki clad male students standing around nearby. And then this old lady pulled over, rolled her window down and frantically gestured me over. Like any good and normal person, I pulled out my headphones and wander on over, assuming she was lost, and hoping I actually had something helpful to say. Apparently she thought I was the one in need of assistance, as she proceeded to offer me a ride... a ride down to Ward circle, aka only about 2/3 of a mile away from where I was, and about 1 mile short of where the bus would take me. Not that the where really matters, I was still surprised by the what and tried to decline and back away as gracefully as possible.

Several days latter, and I'm still confused. I don't think that offering a stranger a ride is really a normal thing that nice people just do. I'm not saying that she had someone waiting in the back seat to cover my mouth with a chloroform soaked rag, culminating in me awaking in a tub of ice sans kidney. I just don't have a good explanation as to why an elderly woman would offer a strange girl, in a safe neighborhood, a short ride?

My only theory is that I possess some sort of magical power that draws in the elderly. I'm slightly serious. It seems that wherever I am, if an elderly person is within 50 ft, they will find me and talk with me. Going to the lobby to get some mail? The old Jamaican man in my building will be there to discuss his knee troubles. On the bus? The 1950's glamor queen who just boarded will set next to me and tell me how I have such a lovely smile, and recommend a Thrift store where I can find fur coats at great deals. At least once a week, with my consent or without, I will be conversed with by one of our fine senior citizens.

I know that generally the elderly can be a talkative lot. But I still think it's something about me. We live in the same building and do most of the same things, but this never happens to Zach. I can be in the lobby at the same time as another girl of about my same age and level of cuteness, even within the same distance of an elderly person, and they will always approach me. It's not the most exciting super power, but it is surprisingly consistent.

Anyways, I'm going to go study for my Wills final. If I really do have some sort of old people mojo, this field and I could result in a lovely future. I could just sit there, office doors open and wait for my clientele to flock in. 

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I love random super powers. I feel like the girl homeless people always feel they can talk to, which is awkward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....that's quite a superpower. Old people rarely approach me, and I've never been offered a ride. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete