Tuesday, April 6, 2010

An Afternoon at the Tidal Basin

Last Friday Zach finally had his giant exam to see if he's learned anything in the past two years of his masters program. It was appropriately brutal. More importantly, it was finally done, and just in time for the Cherry Blossom festival. The second he walked out of the test, we headed towards the metro and scurried downtown. It was a beautiful day, the blossoms were in full bloom, just the perfect day for a nice stroll along the tidal basin. Along with everyone else.

Ok, I'm going to complain once - just once - about the tourists. DC is generally such a lovely town. Clean,  pretty, abounding in free museums and monuments and polite people in suits who are to busy to actually go to any of those things, leaving them uncrowded and delightful. Not that I actually go and take advantage of those things, but I know I could. And then they come. It's not just that things get crowded. It's that they get crowded by rude, smelly, idiots. People who think it's acceptable to throw trash all over the metro and wade in monuments honoring the dead. And yes, you can easily tell the difference between tourists and residents. I don't know how exactly, but it's quite obvious. I know, I'm such a snob. There are some lovely people, sure. Some can almost be endearing like the women who excitedly exclaimed "Oh! How exciting!" after crossing a street and getting honked at by an impatient cab (which is pretty much just what happens when you cross any street downtown.) But, alas due to the law of large numbers there are just so many unpleasant tourists that I can't help but to dread them all. Things finally get nice, and then my dear city becomes inhabitable in the midst of the invaders ravaging. Oh well. Just try to imagine how lovely this would be without all the people.


Anyways, the basin was beautiful. I can't say that anything terribly exciting happened. We walked, we talked. It just felt so amazingly wonderful to be out in the Sunshine, enjoying life. Not a textbook or classroom in sight.

I may have been a little overzealous about documenting the occasion. I made Zach stop every couple of minutes for a million pictures, poor afternoon light and lack of skills be damned. It was just so lovely. Below I have far too many pictures (because I'm indecisive like that) as proof. You can find the few I didn't post here on my facebook.

All in all, it was a lovely afternoon. Jaded as I am, and even with the crowds, there is just something so simultaneously stunning and peaceful about the soft sea of pink blossoms. I highly recommend coming by some year if you ever get the chance. I'll promise to make an exception to my tourist aversion just for you.


























10 comments:

  1. So pretty! I was a hateful tourist last year right around this time (but I promise I didn't litter! Or disrespect the monuments! And also, we were visiting some of our best friends so we had locals to keep an eye on us ;D ) and it was so, so gorgeous. But SO cold. (I've actually never been colder, and neither has J--who's been in -7 degree weather--than the morning we went to go take pictures. Because weather.com failed to warn us about the wind chill. Sigh, the life of a stupid tourist!)

    You're so lucky to have it right where you live! What a lovely afternoon. And congrats to Zack for finishing his exam!

    Also, I don't have too many Mormon friends in 'real life,' but among the few I do have it does sound like there's a lot of pressure in Mormon culture to marry and have babies early. I know more lawyers/law students, and most aren't married, and none (except the middle-aged ones) have kids. That must be a strange dichotomy for you. It's weird, too, how so much of what seems possible or normal or wise is affected so much by those around you. (At least, for me, I find it to be true.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that you actually managed to get some shots without people in them!!!

    That place is a zoo!

    But, so beautiful. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! PS - I hate the people who waded in the monuments, or worse, crawled all over the monuments. (Thinking FDR.) Sure, I was only a "resident" for three months, but I feel like that's long enough to be judgy of vacationers, hahaha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay to Zach!! How exciting to be done a huge test like that...weight off the shoulders! And I must say - you have beautiful teeth! (Is that creepy? I look at teeth for a living...lol) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love DC in the spring. Also, you totally have shampoo-commercial hair! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flowers!
    (Oh I sort of hate where i live right now.)
    The pictures are beautiful! That's a sight I ought to see firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are beautiful beautiful pictures! I've been to DC in the summer a lot, and once in April, but I think I just missed the cherry blossoms :(

    I hope I wasn't a disrespectful tourist! My great-grandma did cry when she saw the capitol for the first time, it was sweet though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures are beautiful! I've never been to DC, but my sister and her almost husband will be working there all this summer. This makes me want to visit them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures!! Congrats to Zach on being done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only been to DC once, and it was in the spring when all the cherry blossoms were out. It was indeed a gorgeous site.

    And I completely and utterly geek out in my adoration for Abraham Lincoln. I know you don't have pictures of his memorial in this post, so I don't know why I'm bringing it up. Seeing Washington and Jefferson's memorials made me think of Lincoln's, I guess. Or maybe I just wanted to announce to the world that I LOVE ABRAHAM LINCOLN!!!

    ReplyDelete