Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cheesecake is a pie. period.

I'm very disappointed in my husband today. After dinner we got into a heated debate over the classification of a beloved dessert. Apparently, he is convinced by empty words rather than delicious truth, and thinks that cheesecake is a cake. Clearly this is idiotic. It's getting late, so I'll make my rebuttal quick. Not that it takes much time to prove the obvious.

1. Cake rises, pie does not. No normal cheese cake rises, ergo, pie.

2. Pie has a crust, cake does not. Cheese cake has a delicious, crumb crust. Another point for pie.

3. In Spanish cheesecake is known as "tarta de queso"queso being cheese and tarta being pie. Other languages also refer to it as a pie. Given that English is a notably odd language, I'm inclined to trust them.

4. It tastes more like a pie, more creamy and custardy than crumby and flourey.

5. It just is. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. It's definitely more pie than cake. It's also all delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you hate me if I say I don't like cheesecake? umm yeah. But I agree, such a pie. However, there was a pie vs cake march madness somewhere, and cheesecake was classified as a cake. It was ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well... having made a cheesecake or two, I'd have to say that it does rise (just a little)... but yes, pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. From now on, I will call it "Cheese Pie".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheesecake is probably one of the most tasty desserts out there....and it's totally pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *whimper*

    Cheesecake...oh, I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely pie. But I still had cheese"cake" as my wedding cake so that it wouldn't break tradition too badly.

    ReplyDelete