Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Balancing Act

As mentioned previously, I'm somewhat terrified of the somewhat uncertain career future Zach and I face. I want to handle things with grace, but handling them means coming up with an actual plan.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to plan when you have not one, but two careers in their delicate, fragile infancy? 

When we were first dating and newly married, after frolicking with unicorns in a rainbow meadow, we would gaze deep into each others eyes and dream about our beautiful, utopian future of perfect equality and bliss. He would be a University professor at a lovely liberal arts school in Portland, I would have a Family law practice of my very own. We would each arrange our schedules so that one of us could always be at our lovingly restored 1920's home, babies playing with developmentally appropriate, organic wood toys or practicing the cello at our feet. Neither of us would be overly stressed by the demands of home or work, both of us would get to share in the joys of both equally. We would be perfect partners, total equals, supporting the hopes and dreams of each of us equally.

I still get a little starry eyed thinking about it.

The real world isn't nearly as simple as our naivety and romance induced hallucinations. At this point I'm not even talking about all the impossibilities of both of us finding wonderful part-time or otherwise flexible employment. For now, I'm just flumoxed as to how we can both even begin to pursue careers simulataneously.

So far things have been fairly simple. We both only applied to school in the DC area, solely on the basis that we couldn't think of another area that had so many schools that had programs we were interested in and had a shot at. Sure, neither of us went to what would have been our first choice if we were single, but all in all we were happy. It was a nice, teeny-tiny compromise. And probably the only and last easy compromise we'll face. 

Next year, I graduate, and need to take the bar somewhere and get a job in that same place, preferably a job with good future opportunities. At that exact same time, Zach will be sending out a second wave of PhD applications throughout the country, and if he has his way, preferably in foreign countries and hopefully accepting one of the many offers sent his way. Somehow we both need to make big commitments and end up in the same place, at the same time. Which is more than a little difficult.

We not only want to be in the same place, both of us pursuing our careers, but we also want to make choices that are good for other aspects of our future. It would be wonderful to start making little people at some point. Which of course would require us having a plan for how we would care for them. We should also start making money eventually, maybe even buy a house. It's amazing how quickly one decision can snowball until its not just choosing a job or a PhD program, but choosing every aspect of our future, recognizing that every option destroys certain future opportunities and creates others that are beyond our powers of imagination.

It would be so much simpler if one of us was the designated primary career person. Even if we wanted to, I'm not sure how we could choose. From a financial perspective, I not only have a higher earning potential than Zach, but I also have a scarily high amount of student loans, so me working to pay them off is somewhat essential. However, I also have the baby making and baby feeding parts, which makes me more likely to take the career backseat at some point, and more important for us to make choices now that will advance Zach's career. But neither of us want to tell the other person that their aspirations are second place in this marriage. That's just not how we roll. And in the end, we still really like our pie in the sky uber-equity dream. Of course, I also like the idea of a solid health care plan, but that doesn't make it a reality.

Fortunately, we have a little while to figure things out, and there are no rules in life against abruptly changing course. I may desperately want to have our future perfectly laid out for us, but that's not how life goes, and if I'm honest with myself, that's not how I would want it. Choosing amidst uncertainty may be one of the most terrifying parts of life, but its also what makes it really living.

Do any of you deal with the problems of balancing the careers of two people? How do you do it?

8 comments:

  1. I bet that's so difficult. I hate making difficult decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep, this post gives me hives. I am really bad at making big decisions/accepting change. Before the hubs started law school, we were both in the exact same career, working for competitor companies. The particular career field is undergoing a lot of change right now and both of our old organizations have had serious layoffs and cutbacks. Realistically, we couldn't be two of the same in the same city -- way too precarious for our future. So we made a big move. I'm still in the same career, but at a completely different organization. It's good and bad. Basically, both of us had to make sacrifices for the other partner to have some semblance of a decent life. It has worked out well and we are OK. You will be OK, too!

    The thing you really have going for you is your age. One of my friends was 30 when she started a PhD program and her husband started law school. They really had no idea when they'd have time for kiddos. You don't have a crazy ticking clock just yet, so you'll be good! Also, remember that DC accepts bar results from most states (right?). So if your husband's career had him stay in the district but you passed the bar in another state, you'd still be OK to practice in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely get it. T and I are both done school and working now, but it's hard to say who's career gets more focus. We've had interesting discussions about who gets to stay home or if we're going to take turns. It's complicated and hard. I'm hoping for the best for you guys! I'm sure you'll be able to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN.

    Making plans seems like such a waste of time to me because none of them work out. Or maybe my problem is I formed plans too late.

    It's frustrating and scary, isn't it? I can't say "it will work out" because I don't believe that phrase. "IT" doesn't do anything. "I" have to do something. "I" have to keep working and hoping and praying and pleading that I can make changes in my life so I can be happy. Stupid "IT" is pretty lazy.

    I wish you the best. I can understand your worries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... so difficult. I cannot imagine not being able to live in the same city as my husband and I certainly can't imagine having to find a job right now. This post made me realize how lucky I am that our careers are established. However, I also see that you two are lucky. I am just a high school teacher and my husband is a marketing assistant (hopefully soon he will be promoted to rep). You guys are really going for the gold (professor and lawyer) and while it seems hard now, your life will be amazing once everything is settled a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh...crazy. I don't have a magical answer for you, but I hope that as you both work toward your goal, that things will work out well for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BIG. TIME. especially now that I actually HAVE a career with real earning potential and satisfaction attached to it. what I don't have are any answers but I think your egalitarian roots will help inform some really good decisions when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late to the party, but just want to chime in and say that in my experience, this isn't a decision you make once. You'll face little decisions related to this all the time. If a big fat awesome opportunity pops up for one of you, the other can sacrifice to make it happen, and you can swap again down the road. Just see how it goes and adjust accordingly.

    Plus, I've been surprised to discover that I'm not "setting my aspirations aside" like I worried I would, bc it's turning out that my aspirations INVOLVE staying home with little kids for a while. I'd be a little sad if I couldn't be home with them right now. It may sound weird of me, but I really hadn't anticipated how much I'd enjoy being the primary caretaker.

    Plus, the nice thing about the law is that they have lawyers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete