Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Meltdown

I recently read an article that discussed how men being well, men, helped to cause the financial meltdown and how the greater presence of women could have prevented it. In general I tend to have mixed feelings about articles that seem to rely on gender essentialism and fuzzy biology. I do find the role of body chemistry and other biological factors in determining behavior fascinating, but I also find myself experiencing bad flashbacks to 2007 cracks about Hillary Clinton starting a nuclear holocaust after a bad case of PMS. (Although she's 62. I hope she doesn't have to deal with that anymore.)

Initial discomfort aside, the article did have a few moments that made me smile. In particular, the assertion that men on Wall Street act like women on their periods, constantly, not just once a month. (Higher levels of testosterone leading to greater risk taking behavior and less emotional stability.)

The financial meltdown suddenly makes much more sense. Today I would gleefully crash the entire financial system, purely out of spite. I've already had to restrain myself from punching Zach in the face, twice. Instead I just threw back a handful of ibuprofen, hugged the heating pad a little tighter, muttered threats against my stupid uterus and tried to avoid Hydeing out.

There really isn't a grand point to all this. It has just been a hideous couple of days.

7 comments:

  1. You should go on the depo shot. It was the best decision. You don't have a period and you don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday. It's $40 dollars every three months without insurance and close to free with Planned Parenthood. Some people say they gain weight but I didn't. I think it's a mental thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud when I read that Z almost got punched in the face twice. MB threatens to move out once a month...I feel you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your pain. These are a bit overpriced, but I love my endofemm heating pad: http://www.dabloenterprises.com/products.html I hope that having been through a couple of days of pain means that it is almost over for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, lady. =\ Crappy days on my end too (but I think I'm finally mostly recovered!) and I hope things get better soon. Ladyhood sucks sometimes. Hope you have some good meds and get some good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I feel the period pain. Hope you feel 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pretty much don't even have periods... It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Flag: The girl named Virginia is writing a fake mormon blog. I don't know why she's doing it, but I have reason to believe she's actually named Valerie, the MFA student. I think she's doing a character study.

    Just thought you should know. I feel bad when people get suckered.

    ReplyDelete