Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Peeps Show

It's amazing that Peeps manage to survive in the sea of delicious Cadburry eggs and chocolate Easter bunnies that abound around Easter. Even with such stiff competition, there is something wonderfully iconic about Peeps. From the once a year thrill, to the bright colors and beady eyes, they are oddly appealing. Peeps aren't that great for actually eating, but for microwave experiments or acting out gruesome scenes with chick-romorphosized neon sugar gobs, nothing beats Peeps.

Here the Washington Post has an amazing gallery of peep dioramas - anything from classic movie scenes to little slices of DC. It's a great way of enjoying a little childhood pleasure, but without actually feeling obligated to eat whatever Peeps are made of.

6 comments:

  1. My husband loves peeps.

    I like them better as art than as snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge peeps fan. A friend was astonished that I didn't like a marshmallow covered in sugar. She said it was like not liking a gold coin wrapped in a $100 bill. I'm feeling torn becuse I would LOVE a gold coin wrapped in money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother used to buy me peeps for Easter every year. I've never been able to stand them, but I think they look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peeps are also for watching my boyfriend & my best friend's husband have a Peep-eating contest. It should be interesting. I can't stand to eat them, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it.

    I weirdly kind of like Peeps. Unfortunately, everyone in my family thinks I like them more than I actually do (I like, like, one box each Easter) and buys me TONS every year. I never have the heart to tell them I end up throwing most of them away. I should do this instead and make galleries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Peeps are made of processed rubber and sugar. Probably more rubber than sugar though.

    ReplyDelete