Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First day of the Last year

It is officially the first day of my last year of school. Forever. Considering one of the main motivations behind going to law school was a desire to postpone being part of the real world, this kind of freaks me out a little. As one of my other reasons was a desire to earn money to support my life aspirations, now that the economy is what it is, that officially pushes my imminent departure into the real world to become more than just a little freakout.

For all I talk about how sick I am of student life and how excited I am to move on and be a real adult, the reality of actually doing so is terrifying. I understand being a student. I know how to take notes and pass tests. I enjoy my oodles of discretionary time. I like not wearing suits. Law school has been substantially less enjoyable than all the school before it, but as crazy as it can be, it's still school, and I know how to do school.

Most of all, right now I'm insulated from the real world. I worry about money, but honestly so long as we don't spend more than we get in student loans, we're ok. I don't like debt, but it's comforting to know that so long as we're students, we get a big check deposited in our account every semester.

Once I graduate, that all stops. I don't get a job, and not only can we not pay back all that magic money that's been keeping us afloat, but how to take care of more immediate and basic needs gets very tricky very fast.

I'm getting ahead of myself. It is scary, but it's also exciting, and it's all months away. For now I'm just going to try and get all I can out of one more year in the academic world, and start to prepare for the world after that. Complete with lots of deep breathes.

2 comments:

  1. Have a great first day! You can worry about the real world a little later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Except I still have the grad school option ahead of me, because I'm getting my bachelor's at the end of this year. It's weird to think it's possible I won't be going back to school after this year (I know I'll be taking a break though). After, what, 17 years of always attending school, the thought of being done, FINISHED, is crazy.

    ReplyDelete