Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sew

I don't know if it is a function of getting older, nesting, or just a good case of blog induced envy, but lately I've been really wishing I had the skill and equipment to sew.

It's an odd feeling for a girl who used to groan at any mention of crafts. I haven't touched a sewing machine since 4H, where I made a truly hideously kitschy Noah's ark vest (it had flappy elephant ears and a abundance of awkward, theoretically decorative buttons) and a mediocre potholder. I haven't really wanted to either.

But then I go strolling through etsy and find a birthday banner that would look just perfect over our window. And I think, hey, I could do that (I probably can't, but oh, wouldn't it be fun to learn?) Before long it's images of custom skirts and curtains. When I get to picturing the quilt I could totally (not) make, it's generally time to rejoin the reality of my non-existed skills, and the lack of space and money to learn right now.

Still, it's nice to think about a house with little things that I actually created. Including a cute little bit of birthday bunting.

2 comments:

  1. I really love to sew, although my skills are very limited. Hopefully one day when I have more money, I can go take a few lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, it's good in theory but if you hate crafting (as I truly hate crafting) you won't really want to cut out all that fabric and sew....but if you do send me your address because I have plenty of fabric from the time I thought I was going to be crafty. Disaster.

    ReplyDelete