Thursday, July 8, 2010

100% stereotypes!

I know that it is horrible to judge how other people parent. Short of actual abuse there are a million different ways to do an excellent job and a million more things that don't make any difference. Different styles for different people, never being able to know the full circumstances, blah blah.

But is it ok to judge how people blog about how they parent?

Because I swear, if I read the phrase so and so is 100% boy or 100% girl again, I just don't think I can help myself. 

8 comments:

  1. Hahah. I just ran across that recently somewhere and it really rubbed me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what parents of hermaphrodites would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. i know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh. Having a conversation about this the other day and how my coworker's husband got angry that their son painted his nails green. It didn't matter that it was because he wanted to be more like the Hulk. His nails were painted and that was a huge no no.

    That phrase and the ideas behind it bother me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sitting in church Sunday and noticed the 2-year-old boy in front of me had bright purple sparkly toenails. (He has 4- and 6-year-old sisters, if that explains anything.) I smiled a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't even get me started on this topic. She likes to wear make up (that I give her) and tutus (that I buy because she is incapable of purchasing her own clothes) and heels (that I give her to wear) she is 100% girl.

    Sean is so obsessive about this topic that I just pray that we have a boy.

    ReplyDelete