Saturday, July 3, 2010

God bless America (especially as we try to set it on fire tommorow)

I keep seeing fireworks stands all over the place. Which, sure fireworks, fourth of July, they do kind of go together. I get it, I like setting things on fire and watching pretty sparks too. But, uh, this is a city. A very populated city, with an abundance of apartment buildings, narrow roads, monuments and people - but very lacking in nice, open spaces where things can be set on fire without killing us all. I see a few patches of dead grass here and there, but that's about it. We can barely find spaces to park around here, let alone to set things on fire.

Yes, I am kind of stuck on this whole setting things on fire thing. I just can't believe that in a town full of lawyers and legislators, no busybody in power has been able to realize that this is a bad idea. I see the kinds of crazy, overdone, over reactionary laws that come from DC everyday. And yet, I can go buy something designed to send out streams of fire for five bucks. On fire people. Come on.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck not setting anything on fire. I hate this holiday, but I'm going to try and enjoy it by doing something cute and crafty.

    ReplyDelete