Sunday, March 4, 2012

You are amazing (and wheat)

You are all amazing. You and Google reader, whereby a person can disappear forever, come back and feel all kinds of warm, internet hugs. Blogging is amazing. You are amazing. I could go on some more, but you're all smart people, you get it.

In other news, we've just become the type of people that grind our own wheat. By hand, with this serious old-school, little house on the prairie, metal monster. It's kind of bad ass. 

It's also moderately terrifying. I'm fairly sure that this is all going to lead to denim jumpers and soccer mom hair. At the very least canning. Grinding your only wheat is definitely a gateway drug to canning. I don't care how hip or trendy all this new-agey pretty homemaking stuff is, my soul will always know that this is the dominion of the really intense church ladies I grew up with, just in pretty packaging. Very, very pretty packaging.

I mean, I'm still going to do it. I like how it tastes, I like how cheap it is. I'm all aboard the hippie. And yes, I want my life to be as pretty and healthy and wonderful as pinterest promises it will be. I'm buying into the hippie chic homemaking magic. I just feel really weird about it. 



5 comments:

  1. I started using the wheat grinder Joey's mom gave us when we got married (part of the food storage package she sets all of her kids up with) and felt the same way. I mean, next thing you know, we will be the women passing out cookies made completely of food storage supplies telling all the other women in the ward how to be super intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! That's awesome. I bet it does taste good. If I had enough room to do it, I'd probably try. I seem to be a likely candidate with 3 kinds of wheat flour and a bag of corn flour on top of my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I iwn a wheat grinder, I just have yet to actually use it. I do, however, totally love canning. I am really excited that we're almost to strawberry season because I plan to make a metric ton of jam! And if all goes well with my garden this year, I'll be canning tomato sauce, too.

    But if I ever talk about making a freakin' toaster cozy that looks like a chicken, please medicate me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That actually looks pretty cool. What kind is it? My mom has a wheat grinder but it is a monster compared to that thing. Not that I need another kitchen appliance.

    ReplyDelete